Statement of Directors' Responsibilities
The Directors are responsible for preparing the Annual Report and the Group and parent company financial statements in accordance with applicable law and regulations.
Company law requires the Directors to prepare group and parent company financial statements for each financial year. Under that law they are required to prepare the Group financial statements in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU and applicable law and have elected to prepare the parent company financial statements in accordance with FRS102 and applicable law.
Under company law the Directors must not approve the financial statements unless they are satisfied that they give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and parent company and of their profit and loss for that period. In preparing each of the Group and parent company financial statements, the Directors are required to:
- select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
- make judgements and estimates that are reasonable and prudent;
- for the Group financial statements, state whether they have been prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU;
- for the parent company financial statements, state whether applicable UK Accounting Standard FRS 102 has been followed, subject to any material departure disclosed and explained in the parent company financial statements; and
- prepare the financial statements on the going concern basis unless it is in appropriate to presume that the Group and the parent company will continue in business.
The Directors are responsible for keeping adequate accounting records that are sufficient to show and explain the parent company’s transactions and disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the parent company and enable them to ensure that its financial statements comply with the Companies Act 2006. They have general responsibility for taking such steps as are reasonably open to them to safeguard the assets of the Group and to prevent and detect fraud and other irregularities.
Under applicable law and regulations, the Directors are also responsible for preparing a Strategic Report, Directors’ Report, Directors’ Remuneration Report and Corporate Governance Statement that complies with that law and those regulations.
The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of the corporate and financial information included on the company’s website. Legislation in the UK governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
We confirm that to the best of our knowledge:
- the financial statements, prepared in accordance with the applicable set of accounting standards, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and profit of the Group and the company;
- the Strategic Report includes a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Group, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that the Group faces; and
- the Annual Report and financial statements, taken as a whole are fair, balanced and understandable and provides the information necessary for shareholders to assess the company’s performance, business model and strategy.
PROVISION OF INFORMATION TO AUDITORS
Each of the persons who are directors at the time when the Directors’ Report is approved has confirmed that:
- so far as that director is aware, there is no relevant audit information of which the Group’s auditors are unaware; and
- that director has taken all the steps that ought to have been taken as a director in order to be aware of any information needed by the Group’s auditors in connection with preparing their report and to establish that the Group’s auditors are aware of the information.
On behalf of the Board
3 June 2016